Image Map

Friday, August 28, 2015

Whole Brain Teaching: Why I'm in Love!





 I've caught the Whole Brain Teaching bug and I'm so glad that I did! Recently, I took an interest in WBT after seeing a colleague who was using the rules. What I've found is that my class, who was introduced to most of the components of Whole Brain Teaching that I'm using in my classroom, is responding extremely well to it. We just finished our second week of school and we're running like a well oiled machine. 

I started with the rules on day one of school. "Keep your dear teacher happy" didn't seem like a rule to me though, so I made a change. Here are  our classroom rules. Each has accompanying hand signals. I say "Rule number 1" and my kiddos respond with the rule and motions.
  1. Follow directions quickly.
  2. Raise your hand to speak or stand.
  3. Listen when your teacher's talking.
  4.  Make smart choices.
  5. Respect yourself, respect others, respect your school.  
We're also using the call and responses suggested for WBT (with a few edits that I find adorable and kinder appropriate):
  • Teacher: "Class"
    • Students: "Yes"
  • Teacher: "Class, class"
    • Students: "Yes, yes"
  • Teacher: "Oh class"
    • Students: "Oh yes"
  • Teacher: "Macaroni and cheese"
    • Students: "Everybody freeze!" (this is our personal favorite)
  • Teacher: "Stop"
    • Students: "Collaborate and listen!" (huge cute factor when this is coming out of the mouth of a 5 year old) 
We're also using these lovely tricks of the WBT trade:
  • Mirrors
    • Amazing for making sure my kiddos are focused on me and doing what I'm doing. This kids also love getting to start the mirrors when they're the leader.
  • Teach. Okay!
    • This is used when I've just gone over a concept. My kiddos turn and teach what they've just learned to a nearby buddy by repeating what I've said. They LOVE this and it's pretty effective as well.
  • Switch! 
    • We haven't fully grasped this trade off while "teaching" yet, but it's a work in progress. 
  • Our whole class management system:
    • When we doing something well as a class, we get a One Second Party. The kids say "Oh Yeah!" and we get a smile on our chart.
    • When we make a mistake, we don't pout, we have a "Mighty Grown". The kids thrust their fists by their sides and make a groan. Then it's over and we move on.

Safe to say, I'm officially hooked on Whole Brain Teaching! Plus there are so many amazing FREE resources on TPT for it! I can't wait to continue our school year with this awesome new set of rule and procedures.  

No comments :

Post a Comment